Monday, January 11, 2016

Book Review: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Title: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger  
Paperback: 546 pages 
Publisher: Harcourt (May 27, 2004)
Rating: 3 out of 5



I started reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" on my trip to Chattanooga, TN.  I was traveling in the early morning, so I did not read the summary nor the reviews on Scribd.  I chose the audiobook because of the cover.  The front cover includes an image of a little girl from the waist down. This little girl is standing in a grassy field, next to a man's worn shoes and clothing.  I do not know what I was expecting from the book, but this book was unlike anything that I have ever read. I was drawn to finish it.

Audrey Niffenegger writes a love story that makes you want to experience the complicated, but unconditional love of Henry and Clare.  The way that Henry and Clare are able maneuver through life, while dealing with Henry's genetic disorder that causes him to time travel, is amazing.  The unpredictability of Henry's time travel becomes fascinating as the story unfolds.  Henry's delinquent past is both sad and hilarious. Clare's inability to keep a pregnancy from resulting in a miscarriage becomes so disheartening.

Niffenegger draws you deep into the world of Clare and Henry, which is full of love, death, happiness, sorrow, and randomness.  The whole nature of Henry's time travel puts a strain on their relationship, but it manages to last in spite of his disorder  Clare's dependency on Henry is often frustrating, but realistic.

Overall, the books was definitely one that I will not forget anytime soon.  The end of the book left me angry and disappointed.  For the sensitive reader, this book does contain sexual content, as well as other adult topics.

Have you read the book or seen the movie? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discovering the Joys of Being in a Book Club

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store Reading has been a sanctuary for me for as long as I can remember. Being surrounded by books provides unimagi...