Saturday, August 13, 2016

Book Review: for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf

Book Title: for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf 
Author: Ntozake Shange
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I checked this audiobook from my local public library.  I have been procrastinating on reading it because of the scene with the children being dangled out of the window.  I watched the movie first, and that image still resonates with me.  

However, since I have a two-hour commute one way, I felt that now would be a good time to be entranced by Shange, and I must say that I was.  I cannot believe how talented she is.  She entraps you inside almost every emotion and feeling that women encountered, as they journey through life.  Shange chooses the language within the text to articulate power, beauty, anger, happiness, and so much more.

I hate to admit that the stories of the seven women are very familiar.  Why? I have either experienced the incident or know of a woman or women, who have experienced it.  

Within this text, Shange captures what it means to be a woman and what it means to be a woman of color.  Regardless of race, all women can relate to this text.  Incidences of infidelity or abuse are well known to women.  Shange's ability to capture the reality is amazing.  


Let's connect on Goodreads.
Connect with me on Facebook.
Follow me on Twitter.  
my currently-reading shelf:
Cassandra Hawkins Wilder's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
Check out my other blog: Transitioning to Me: Life after Divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discovering the Joys of Being in a Book Club

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store Reading has been a sanctuary for me for as long as I can remember. Being surrounded by books provides unimagi...