Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Borrowing Books



Last year was the last year that I lend someone a book from my collection. My books never come back to me. Oh the stories that I have. 

During graduate school, I once allowed a “friend” to borrow a book that I bought when I first visited Washington, D. C. when I was in elementary school. This book was sentimental to me. The blue cover was perfect. I cannot remember the name of the book, but I remember the content. The book was a slave narrative written in slave dialect. The book also provided the standard English version, too. She ended up becoming angry with I didn’t do what she wanted me to do. I wish that I knew what the name of the book was to repurchase it. As you can see, I’m still bothered my this book missing from my collection. 

When I was dating people, I would let them borrow my books. Then, when it ended, I would have to harass or be immensely petty to get my books back. Sometimes, I’ve been like it is what it is. Then, I just replace the book. However, 2018 is the beginning of a different era. When someone asks to borrow a book, my answer is no. I will share where to purchase the book. I will recommend the library. I will hare my insight about the book. I will not be lending any books to anyone. 

Books are important sentiments to me. I often remember where I bought a book and why. Books are my therapy. Their very presence makes me happy. So, in 2018, you cannot borrow my book. If I lose a friend over saying no to a request for a book, then so be it.

Books are better friends anyways. They don’t complain. They go with me wherever I desire. They take my mind off things and help me to learn so much. They never leave when they don’t like something I’ve said or done. So, I’m going to be good. 

How do you feel about borrowing books? What was the title of the last book that you let someone borrow? 

Sign up for the newsletter: MS Bookworm Newsletter.
Follow me on Instagram.
Let's connect on Goodreads.
Connect with me on Facebook.
Follow me on Twitter.  
Currently Reading shelf:
Cassandra Hawkins Wilder's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discovering the Joys of Being in a Book Club

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store Reading has been a sanctuary for me for as long as I can remember. Being surrounded by books provides unimagi...