Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The Ghosts of Rowan Oak by Dean Faulkner Wells

Containing three ghost stores, "Judith," "The Werewolf," and "The Hound," this book was amazing. Written specifically for children, Dean Faulkner Wells is William Faulkner's niece, and she captures the true essence of Faulkner's ability to tell amazing stories.

Having walked on the marvelous grounds of Rowan Oak, located in Oxford, MS, I can only imagine the eeriness and uneasiness it can possess during the midnight hour. If I was listening to Faulkner tell one of these stories in person, I would not be the same. "Judith" was told to me in bits and pieces. I know that many people believe that the story is true. Regardless if the story is true or false, the plot keeps you engaged and wondering "what if."

Even as the plot unfolded in "The Werewolf," I felt uneasy and nervous, as if I was standing in the train station, trying to force the window down.  I wanted to help the young man. I had it all figured out, yet I kept reading until the very last punctuation.

Lastly, "The Hound" was perhaps my favorite.  Mimicking closely the story-telling ability of Edgar Allan Poe, one of my favorite authors, "The Hound" possesses a unique thrill, which only psychoanalysis literary critics would thoroughly appreciate.  Overall, this book was just what I needed to read.  However, I don't foresee me reading it to my children any time soon. I like sleeping alone. :)

Now here is what you can do since you have read thus far!!! You can click on the link and order the book I have just shared with you. If you really enjoyed reading about this book, share this post on Twitter or Facebook. Don't forget to share you thoughts and comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discovering the Joys of Being in a Book Club

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store Reading has been a sanctuary for me for as long as I can remember. Being surrounded by books provides unimagi...