Monday, December 07, 2015

4 Ways to Be an Organized Bibliophile

With so much to choose from today, it is easy to be overwhelmed with books and what to read.  I have a growing list on Goodreads, and I have books that I own, which I have yet to read.  You have Scribd, iBooks, Kindle, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and the library.  Sometimes,it is so hard for me to choose what I want to read.  I get review copies for my blog.  I really enjoy the review copies.  I mean it makes me feel like a VIP bibliophile.  With my books in storage, Scribd is definitely coming to the rescue.  I do have books on bookshelves in the living room, kitchen, and my bedroom, also in the rooms of my children, as well.  Reading too many books and buying too many books can happen so fast, when you are a true book lover.  You have so many options and so many formats to read. 

I have a few suggestions to help you achieve some sort of organization with your reading.  I hope these help you like they help me.

  1. Start a TBR (To Be Read) list on Goodreads.  This list helps you to add books that you want to read.  When you need to find a book to read, tackle a book on your list.  The TBR list can help you be more focused when you go to bookstores, libraries, or online options. My TBR is very long, but I am tackling it one book at a time, which leads me to number 2.
  2. Start the Goodreads reading challenge.  This past year, I was pregnant and in school, while working.  So, I knew that leisure reading would be very hard to achieve.  At the beginning of the year, I set a Goodreads challenge, which I knew would be achievable.  Every time I read a book, I made it closer to my reading goal.  Currently, I have surpassed my goal. 
  3. Set a book limit per month.  Since I have started using Scribd, I get one audiobook credit per month.  Currently, I am listening/reading The Time Traveler's Wife, and I must say the ride in my car with the 4 J's is quite peaceful.  The kids and I have been listening to since last Wednesday.  The dialogue we have about the book is so refreshing for a bibliophile like myself.  Even when you go to the library or bookstore, set a limit on how many books you will buy or check out.  I know that we are all guilty of getting books from the library or buying books that we never read.  I mean I just love the smell and feel of books. (Yes, I smell books.  Have you ever smelled a William Faulkner's first edition? OMG Just refreshing!!! )
  4. Look at reviews of a book that you are interested in reading.  I know that I am not the only person that feels like time has been wasted when you read a book, and you do not like it.  There are so many reviews available.  Bookstores provide reviews from their staff.  I love reading the reviews from Square Books in Oxford, MS.  Barnes and Noble's staff provides reviews, as well.  Then you have book blogs, Amazon reviews, and Goodreads reviews.  All of these resources can be very helpful when you are trying to decide on what you would like to read. 
Being an organized bibliophile is achievable, especially if you follow these steps.  Don't forget to connect with me on Goodreads.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discovering the Joys of Being in a Book Club

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store Reading has been a sanctuary for me for as long as I can remember. Being surrounded by books provides unimagi...