Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Book Review: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

Book title: The Little Paris Bookshop
Author: Nina George
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George is a New York Times Bestseller that makes you appreciate a good book.  I listened to the audiobook version of this book, which unfortunately took me longer than I would like to complete an audiobook.  My rating of the book could have been higher, if I read the text instead of listened to it.  The audiobook was spoken with a French accent, which sometimes distracted me.

I chose this book because the title contained two of my favorite things: Paris and books.   The main character, Peru, appealed to me because he sold books, which is one of my long-term goals. The love of books is intricately involved throughout the  plot of the book.  Peru was known as a "book pharmacist."  When customers entered his bookstore, Peru "prescribed" a book for the "symptoms of life."  Personally, I have found that reading can ease the stings of trials and tribulations in your life.

Free love and sexual encounters was two of the main themes within the text. Even though the book was not explicit, the some of the sexual encounters are scenes that were described in great detail.  Therefore, some readers may be uncomfortable with reading the book.  Another theme was the usefulness and significance of reading.    The Little Paris Bookshop demonstrated how important reading books are to maneuvering through life. I liked this aspect of the book.  Book lovers would appreciate this fact about the book.

The Little Paris Bookshop was an entertaining novel. I enjoyed how Nina George presented an unexpected, emotional journey that engaged the reader.   Also, I liked how George alluded to the power of reading.  I am a strong advocate of reading being a means to transform your life.

Overall, The Little Paris Bookshop was not what I expected. I did not read the reviews for the book. So, I was not exactly informed about it.  Ironically, my overall perception of The Little Paris Bookshop is that it is a romance novel.   Somehow, I was not expecting it to be about romance.  Even though I normally do not read romance novels, I was not disappointed with the text.

Have you read The Little Paris Bookshop? What was your impression of the book?

Let's connect on Goodreads.
Connect with me on Facebook.
Follow me on Twitter.  
My currently-reading shelf:
Cassandra Hawkins Wilder's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
Check out my other blog: Transitioning to Me: Life after Divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Akash and Mila and the Big Jump by Anthony C. Delauney

Book: Akash and Mila and the Big Jump Author: Anthony C. Delauney Format: Hardcover Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟(5 Stars) Book synopsis: Akash and Mil...