Sunday, April 08, 2018

Book Review: The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl




Book Title: The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl
Author: Issa Rae
Format: Audiobooks
Purchase the book here.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Recently, I was added to a Facebook book club group. The chosen book was The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. Having always longed to be a member of a book club, I was excited to start the book right away. I decided to purchase the audiobook version of the book via Audible, and I must say that I wasn't disappointed. The humor that is found in Issa Rae's YouTube Series and HBO Series has been translated in the text of her book.

The themes of the book are family, self-esteem, coming of age, struggle for acceptance, and life lessons. I think that what I enjoyed the most about the book is that the audiobook is read by Issa Rae, so you hear her quirkiness throughout the text. I found myself chuckling out loud numerous times, which contributes to the book being very relatable.

Even though I would not categorize this book as an inspiring autobiography, I would share that it provides enlightenment about her life and how she arrived to be such a fantastic storyteller. This book is a quick read and enjoyable. I enjoyed the flow of the book and was not bored at all. So I did give it a 5 out of 5.

Have you read this book? Let's talk.

Follow me on Instagram.
Let's connect on Goodreads.
Connect with me on Facebook.
Follow me on Twitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Akash and Mila and the Big Jump by Anthony C. Delauney

Book: Akash and Mila and the Big Jump Author: Anthony C. Delauney Format: Hardcover Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟(5 Stars) Book synopsis: Akash and Mil...